Your Connecticut Construction Law Advocates Since 1963
Michelson, Kane, Royster & Barger P.C. has been most active in the field of construction law since 1963. This experience has given our team the ability to develop innovative, strategic, and cost-effective solutions for our construction industry clients. We represent a wide scope of participants across the construction spectrum, including:
- Public and private owners
- Design professionals
- General contractors
- Construction Managers
- Material suppliers
- Insurance companies
Our attorneys provide sound advice and vigorous advocacy in the following areas:
- Bidding and Contract Formation: We routinely counsel public and private owners, as well as contractors and subcontractors, in public bidding issues. We have extensive experience in handling bid protests from both the public owner’s and the contractor’s perspective. We also advise our clients on an ongoing basis as to all matters of contract negotiation and, subsequently, contract interpretation.
- Claims Avoidance and Resolution: We work closely with our clients in all aspects of construction claims, such as properly documenting problems as they arise, formulation of claims, responding to claims, resolving claims—and most importantly, avoiding claims whenever possible. The firm’s attorneys are experienced with all manner of claims, including those arising from scheduling delays, differing site conditions, design deficiencies, labor productivity, and extra work issues.
- Mechanic’s Liens and Payment Bond Claims: The firm’s attorneys routinely file, and litigate, mechanic’s liens and payment bond claims to secure our clients’ rights to payment. We also defend and resolve those claims when representing owners, sureties, and upper-tier contractors.
- Surety: The firm regularly represents contract and fidelity sureties in both construction and non-construction matters. This representation includes contractor termination and performance bond claims, as well as indemnity claims.
- Design Errors & Omissions: The firm frequently represents owners, architects and engineers in connection with claims involving design deficiencies.
- Licensing Issues: If you have a licensing issues, we can help. We are routinely involved in representing trade contractors in various matters before state licensing boards.
- Trade & Educational Activities: The firm’s attorneys are active participants in most of the major construction industry trade organizations in Connecticut. We also regularly conduct professional seminars on matters of importance for the construction industry, and are routinely involved in shaping legislation that affects general contractors and subcontractors.
At Michelson, Kane, Royster & Barger P.C., we understand that dedicated and knowledgeable legal support is an important part of your business strategy, and use our combined years of experience in construction law matters to support your success and guide you through challenges. For more information or to schedule a consultation, please contact us.